Which is best for travel - NX1000 or Panasonic Lumix GX1?

Forums: 
Greetings. Costco has a screaming deal on the NX1000 - $599 and it includes the 20-55 and 50-200 mm kit lenses. The GX1 is also on sale for $799. Besides price, which camera do you recommend? I have lots of SD memory and the NX1000 uses micro SD (but that is a not a deal breaker). I don't understand the difference between the APS-C sensor versus the micro four thirds. Also, would love to be able to use my Canon EF-S lenses on my new camera. We will spend three months in Kosovo (hubby is working) and I get to take lots of street, landscape and touristy pictures. I really appreciate your help helping me chose between these two camera. Thank you.

Since you're going to spend 3 months in Kosovo I would recommend the Panasonic simply b/c it has a solid reliability history, the last thing you want in your trip is for your camera to break down. Even if the Panny were to break down , you have better chances of finding an authorized repair shop for Panasonic cameras than Samsung, since samsung is a relatively new comer in the market. Having said all that, if you were not going on a 3-month trip, I would recommend the Samsung b/c - larger sensor - higher resolution - the 20-50mm lens has received excellent reviews, - better control of the DOF, - 3 prime pancake lenses (16mm , 20mm 30mm) are excellent, very compact and prices are way better than panny lenses - The Wi-Fi feature is awesome - Very easy to learn and use ( same for the panny) Check to see if that 55-200mm lens is the newer version with the "i-func" button on the lens. Optically they're both the same , but the newer version has the button which is handy. One final note, I believe Frys Electronics was selling this combo for $549, if there is one in your area you may want check them out.

I have the nx210 and have been very happy. I say go for the Samsung nx1000, its a great value!

The NX1000 does not use micro SD, it uses normal size SD cards. I wouldn't worry too much about reliability with either. I'd worry more about either camera being stolen. Overall, I'd get that NX1000 along with the 30mm F2 next time it goes on sale. The 30mm F2 is a highly regarded prime lens, that's also quite small in size (pancake). The small size of this lens and the smallness of the NX1000 body make it pocketable in something like a jacket or cargo pants. It'll probably also attract less attention. Also, the WiFi capabilities of the NX1000 may prove to be a real time saver if you intend to send photos back home while you're away. Also, backing up photos to Picasa or photobucket might be a good idea. Make sure your camera has the latest firmware as there have been some important bug fixes in regards to WiFi features. You may also want to consider getting a second battery for the NX1000. It's not the biggest battery and may not last on extended excursions. I don't know much about the GX1, but micro-4/3 are just a different standard that uses a smaller sized sensor. Generally speaking, bigger is better. APS-C is also what some DSLRs use, but the top end ones now use what's called a Full Frame, which is even bigger. It's not about megapixels either, bigger sensors tend to have a better image quality and better low light capabilities. At least that's how I understand it.

GX1 is better camera than NX1000 in every aspect except Wi-Fi. I like Samsung cams, but NX1000 is pretty much low-end while GX1 is currently probably best what Panasonic has (even tho overlooked due OM-D hype). Which is sorta sad and similar to Samsung being overlooked in general. GX1 has long term advantage in being able to use EVF, if you wish for it one day. And a LOT of native lens with pretty good quality (Olympus are usually slightly better than Panasonic counterparts). Tho for general snapping, 20mm f1.7 is nice lens.. but probably bit expensive for you. Kit lens is ok (tho I guess Samsung kit might be better..). GX1 is better in long term, if you want just "any camera" go for Samsung, it will do its job.

Mescalamba wrote: GX1 is better camera than NX1000 in every aspect except Wi-Fi. I like Samsung cams, but NX1000 is pretty much low-end while GX1 is currently probably best what Panasonic has (even tho overlooked due OM-D hype). Which is sorta sad and similar to Samsung being overlooked in general. GX1 has long term advantage in being able to use EVF, if you wish for it one day. And a LOT of native lens with pretty good quality (Olympus are usually slightly better than Panasonic counterparts). Tho for general snapping, 20mm f1.7 is nice lens.. but probably bit expensive for you. Kit lens is ok (tho I guess Samsung kit might be better..). GX1 is better in long term, if you want just "any camera" go for Samsung, it will do its job.
I disagree, because you can't get around the 4/3 sensor which is smaller, and works against any other reason why you'd want to spend on the Panasonic. I would agree with what you said if the Panasonic had an APS-C also, but it doesn't. So it is not a long term investment. It'll be outdated and surpassed before it dies... so what's the point? And have you seen the price of an EVF??? May as well just get the NX20 with EVF already there.

Timmbits wrote:
Mescalamba wrote: GX1 is better camera than NX1000 in every aspect except Wi-Fi. I like Samsung cams, but NX1000 is pretty much low-end while GX1 is currently probably best what Panasonic has (even tho overlooked due OM-D hype). Which is sorta sad and similar to Samsung being overlooked in general. GX1 has long term advantage in being able to use EVF, if you wish for it one day. And a LOT of native lens with pretty good quality (Olympus are usually slightly better than Panasonic counterparts). Tho for general snapping, 20mm f1.7 is nice lens.. but probably bit expensive for you. Kit lens is ok (tho I guess Samsung kit might be better..). GX1 is better in long term, if you want just "any camera" go for Samsung, it will do its job.
I disagree, because you can't get around the 4/3 sensor which is smaller, and works against any other reason why you'd want to spend on the Panasonic. I would agree with what you said if the Panasonic had an APS-C also, but it doesn't. So it is not a long term investment. It'll be outdated and surpassed before it dies... so what's the point? And have you seen the price of an EVF??? May as well just get the NX20 with EVF already there.
I would think sensor development is more likely to make aps-c redundant except for the top end users. m43 does take the sting out of lens sizes though the 20-50 NX is an outstanding bit of miniaturisation which does defy this. I find it difficult to think of Samsung NX as a safe investment. The cameras are nice but firmware coding quality, version control and distribution are abysmal. I think the future of NX is still very much in doubt and I would fear more having to write off NX kit than m43. The Olympus Pens I have just seem so much more reliable than the NX stuff. For example I have not had to pull the battery out once to reset the camera or had to do a menu reset which is something I had found needed doing all too frequently with any Samsung kit I have had. What about an Olympus EPM1/12-50 kit which would be handy travel package and avoid lens swapping.

I am not in awe with the 20-50 sizewise. It lacks OIS and still is quite a bit larger than the OIS 14-42 Powerzoom.. http://camerasize.com/compact/#320.104,183.335,ha,t The guy you answered to seems to live in another reality really. If there is any camera in perrill then it seems to be the NX. In NL you won't find them in any shop or they are somewhere on the background, one cam and that is it. And that is about the same all over the world apart from Korea. m43s otoh seems to be doing well, although competition is fearce and panasonic has lost considerable ground to Oly and NEX (especially NEX) if we take japan as an example. I have two panny m43 camera's and they never ever gave one problem in 4 years. And i have used both extensively. The new panny and Oly with sony sensor have IQ that is so good that you need a FF cam to get something with significantly better IQ. According to dpzen. This size difference at least currently is nonsense when translated to IQ difference and always has been rather small.

Jorginho wrote: I am not in awe with the 20-50 sizewise. It lacks OIS and still is quite a bit larger than the OIS 14-42 Powerzoom..
The 14-42x Powerzoom is a lot more expensive top end lens and the standard 14-42's which are a better comparison are larger than the 20-50 when stowed. Give credit where it is due as the 20-50 is excellent value and small for aps-c. OIS is handy but not essential and the 20-50 performs very well in practice. Also the 14-42X has had a bit of a mixed reception on its sharpness.

This was about size. Size is small because of less focal length (30 mm is not very nice) and no OIS. At 75 mm Iwould like to have it, because at f5.6 you'll neeed it sooner than later. Panny Powerzoom is a marvel of size with its OIS. I dont think it is expensive at all BTW as it is also great for video. I am not discrediting the 20-50 at all nor did I EVER downplay Samsungs lenses in any way when it comes to "credit where credit is du". especially not the 30 mm, the60 mm marci and the 85 mm are excellent performers. Never said anything different. I cannot agree on the 20-50 and completely fail to understand its lacking OIS. IQ wise it canbe good, in fat: it is really good for a kitlens. Which was not my point either BTW.

First of all IQ between the two won't be too different. The 16 MPixel m43 sensors are good. Only Sony APS-c sensors are really better. The GX1 kit has a 14-42 and 45-175 X lens. The advantage here is that both lenses are stabilzed. This gains you2-3 stops over the Samsung 20-50 mm which is not stablized. For me, the reason for this is that without stabilsation the lens can be made smaller. Also, this lens covers 30-75 mm. The Panny lens covers 28-82 mm. Especially the 28 mm is nicer. 75 or 82 to me is less of a problem. The 45-175 lens is very good at videoshooting too. You have a switch for smooth zooming. Also, this lens weighs 210 grams. The Samsung weighs almost double. Still: the Panny has 90-350 mm reach. The Samsung has 75-300 mm reach. In reallife, that difference is not that big, but 350 mm is better everstill. Unfortunately I could not find the 45-175 mm lens for this comparison below, but it is just a bit larger than the 45-150 which pictured here. For my taste, the Samsung examplifies why APS-c, to me, is not such a good idea with these kind f camera's. The lens is simply too large and you have to wonder how it balances on that small camera body. May be some users can take away that concern of mine. http://camerasize.com/compact/#320.103,183.347,ha,t Also, m43s has a much bigger lens line up with very good if not excellent lenses. Video is better on the GX1 I believe (but I am not sure) and if you shoot more shots in a row, the buffer of Samsung camera's seem to cause quite some irritation becusse it takes ages to fill and you cannot shoot while waiting. Also: GX1 has an inbuilt flash that also allows you to do bouncing flash, as the flash can be tilted to the ceiling. And you can add an EVF, which is really missing on the NX200/210 but may be less so on the NX1000. However: the NX1000 is 200 dollar cheaper. I think this is a considerable difference. All in all it depends on your needs. I am a m43 user so I could be biased but I think what I write is correct. In the end I think you'll behappy with noth camera's. As a system m43 seems to be doing a lot better than Samsung. If you want to add on lenses, you have more than 30 to add to your cam and it is growing on and on. As a final note: why are you not tryng to get an Olympus EPM2 or EPL5? These have the best IQ and Samsungs JEPGS are not good, neither are Panasonic JPEGs. Olympus JPEGS are excellent! And the EPL5 has a tiltable screen which seems very nice if you do not have an EVF.. Good luck with your choice!

Jorginho wrote: As a final note: why are you not tryng to get an Olympus EPM2 or EPL5? These have the best IQ and Samsungs JEPGS are not good, neither are Panasonic JPEGs. Olympus JPEGS are excellent! And the EPL5 has a tiltable screen which seems very nice if you do not have an EVF.. Good luck with your choice!
I agree with most of what you say, after all the GX1 is a top of the line camera; it's price reflects that. But your statement regarding the jpegs is subjective, I think you shouldn't present this as fact. I feel Samsung has a fine jpeg engine with nice colours; but it's really a matter of opinion (I don't like how Sony jpegs look, for example, but that hasn't stopped the huge success of their cameras).

Sorry for that, I agree with you. I just reflected the general opinion on this subject. Personally, I have a GH2 and I think the colours are much more natural than the Oly colours which seem very nice to me but not very true to life....

Jorginho wrote: Sorry for that, I agree with you. I just reflected the general opinion on this subject. Personally, I have a GH2 and I think the colours are much more natural than the Oly colours which seem very nice to me but not very true to life....
No need for apologies. The colours different cameras produce are a very interesting thing - no stats to support them! It's all so subjective, some people want rich colours, some true to life, and some make crazy HDR images with weird colours...

You might want to look at a Canon G1 X, selling currently for about $665. The lens is fixed, so you don't need to buy more lenses. It has excellent JPEGs, and high ISO results. http://www.dpzen.com/reviews/canong1x/ Also, see this thread concerning a G1 X for travel; http://forums.dpzen.com/forums/post/40895654 Dennis

yooperguy wrote: You might want to look at a Canon G1 X, selling currently for about $665. The lens is fixed, so you don't need to buy more lenses. It has excellent JPEGs, and high ISO results. http://www.dpzen.com/reviews/canong1x/ Also, see this thread concerning a G1 X for travel; http://forums.dpzen.com/forums/post/40895654 Dennis
Only if you never want to upgrade. Otherwise nice camera, lens could be better tho.

Compared to the GX1 and NX1000 wiht bot h lenses, the OP is seevrley restricted. GX1 gives 28-350 mm FL, NX1000 30-300 mm. Also AF on Canon G1x is very slow, burstrate is 1-2 FPS, while GX1 and NX1000 focus very fast. NX1000 also has a better resolution than the 14 MPixel G1X, while noise performance of all three are pretty similar. I would not pic the Canon.

Got NX1000 bundle with smartphone, 20-50 only. There is one slot, SD, not micro SD. Reviews for 50-200 are not that great, but recommended if comes in the kit. I hope I will use it more than I have used the D7000 which is not as handy for travel but is weather proof (with bottom gasket lens). Planing to get closer to the subject for composition, zoom is not the top priority. Photos I have been taking are extremely good, totally unexpected, control is very intuitive and simple. I wish I could have tested GX1, by the specs and everything else looks better, get them both and return the one you wouldn't keep, they will speak for themselves in the end.

Nice the NX1000 does so well for you. GX1, NX1000. These are tools. When we discuss them it will also be about details. In reallife I think they will do both a fine job. have fun with you new cam!

Mitica2007 wrote: Got NX1000 bundle with smartphone, 20-50 only. There is one slot, SD, not micro SD. Reviews for 50-200 are not that great, but recommended if comes in the kit. I hope I will use it more than I have used the D7000 which is not as handy for travel but is weather proof (with bottom gasket lens). Planing to get closer to the subject for composition, zoom is not the top priority. Photos I have been taking are extremely good, totally unexpected, control is very intuitive and simple. I wish I could have tested GX1, by the specs and everything else looks better, get them both and return the one you wouldn't keep, they will speak for themselves in the end.
Trust me, you would be pretty disapointed with Canon GX1. Very mediocre camera and way behind NX system. Actually even behind m4/3s.

GX1 is a Panasonic camera. Second: NX1000 is not better than GX1. They are very close, although going by NX200 comparison shots I would say IQ is a little bit better from the NX1000. GX1 is the more consistent and faster focusser, has more lenses etc. He made a choice and should stick to it. I think he will be pleased with the NX1000.

yooperguy wrote: You might want to look at a Canon G1 X, selling currently for about $665. The lens is fixed, so you don't need to buy more lenses. It has excellent JPEGs, and high ISO results. http://www.dpzen.com/reviews/canong1x/ Also, see this thread concerning a G1 X for travel; http://forums.dpzen.com/forums/post/40895654 Dennis
Seems it is quite a disappointment, this canon. it is intentionally crippled, slow, sluggish, lacking some controls, so it does not cannibalize canon's other lineup. it's designed as a 1/1.17" killer, and not to touch their Rebel sales. Sony RX100 would be better advice for a fixed lens.

All of these Samsung models come with a compact flash unit, included. It is quite nice. It is designed to tilt. You do make some valid points. I resold the 20-50mm lens on ebay (but ended up regretting that because it is to COMPACT contrary to what you write), and purchased the 18-55 kit lens instead. I also have the 30mm f2 pancake lens, which is what gets the most use... I hardly ever take it off the camera. I also got a adapter, to use old lenses with it, and the 5x or 8x focus aid is great for those old manual lenses! And quite frankly, I don't know what all the fuss is about size... if you want small size, wouldn't you want to get a Sony RX100? As far as I'm concerned, if you have an interchangeable lens camera system, you don't just have the camera body to carry around. With the larger sensor, comes the possibility of having larger lenses so that you can get MORE LIGHT - which is the whole point of larger sensors and larger lenses in the first place!

Both are good choices. The Panasonic was on my short list, but I ended up buying the NX1000. Panasonic deserved kudos for very nice styling. But it was the larger aps-c sensor with higher resolution and blazing fast speed that won me over to the Samsung. It just seemed better in all specs. If you want something that performs better in bright sunlight, spend a little extra for a NX210 or NX20 with the OLED screen, although I had both in my hands, and the difference is maybe 20% max but with a much wider viewing angle. With a larger sensor, you can have a lens with larger light gathering capabilities... APS-C has a 33% brightness advantage over the 4/3, to illuminate the sensor. Consider their respective focal length multipliers: aps-c = x1.5 (aps-c canon = x1.6) and 4/3 = x2 Bottom line: you are getting a much much larger sensor for about the same size mirrorless system. Panasonic is nothing to be ashamed about, but you can never get too large a sensor. IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT MEMORY CARDS: One last thing... regardless of the model you buy, make sure you use at lease CLASS-10 SD memory cards. I come from the wonderful world of designing computers, and memory speed makes a world of difference in performance. If you want the camera to perform to it's fullest potential (write to card and release the camera for more use) then get the fastest memory cards your money can find.

The problem with this reasoning is that the lenses are not the same sized for what they deliver. 20-50 seems same sized for instance, but lacks IOS. Moreover, the Powerzooms are much smaller. If go to larger lenses, larger focal lengths it is inevitable that the smaller sensor will deliver the the smaller lens and this difference, to me, is quite large. These two lenses have very similar focal lengths for instance. Look for yourself. http://camerasize.com/compact/#320.103,183.347,ha,t Another point is that the sensor does not deliver better IQ. if we look at techradar, which I am not too fond of btw, the DR of the NX seems to be not that good. Noise performance is okey. I looked at the NX210. They do currently do not deliver a better performance inspite of the larger sensor size if we go by the numbers. If I look at reallife shooting I tend to think the NX1000 is slightly better though. But using the 50-200 on that cam to me simply means you do not have a compact system anymore. Lens is out of balance to that body. On GX1 it is a perfect fit. GX1 allows for anEVF, a big plus in my view. if you want to spend alittle more I would strongly suggest EPL5. Again: EVF is possible and cheap (119 euro), it has a tiltable screen, it has IBIS and it has a sensor that is better than the ones used in the NX1000 and GX1.

Add new comment

Image
More information
  • Files must be less than 2 MB.
  • Allowed file types: png gif jpg jpeg.
Attachment
More information
  • Files must be less than 2 MB.
  • Allowed file types: zip rar.
By submitting this form, you accept the Mollom privacy policy.